domingo, 8 de febrero de 2015

Diving The Reefs off Little Corn

So this place is just stunning for diving. I thought Blowing Rock, from Big Corn, was cool but it wasn't anything in comparison to this place. I've swam with Nurse Sharks, almost every time we dived, turtles, stingrays, Eagle Rays, lobsters, Barracuda and more fish than I can possibly name. The water is crystal blue and clear with unbelievably healthy coral (not like all the dead coral you find in Thailand):


You can stroke the Nurse Sharks! They are the Alsatians of Sharks, they got teeth but they don't want to bite you!

This isn't an Eagle Ray, just a normal one!


Also I've never been able to swim off a beach before, to a real coral reef and see everything I've seen on a dive!

At first when I snorkelled on the first day I was a little scared cause it was just me and the nurse shark, but now I realize they are totally harmless, they never attack and are almost cuddly! We were stroking and patting them all the time. They do eat fish and on the dive I did yesterday (Saturday 7th February, for my records!) we were spearing Lion Fish, because they are an invasive species and destroy the coral, and the Sharks went nuts for them. Amazing to watch a feeding frenzy, I stayed well back cause I guess you could get bitten if you put your hand in the way. I made an amazing video of it (if I might say so myself!) currently trying to upload to Vimeo now, if I can get internet anywhere, it sucks on this island. You have to get up early or stay up late when everyone's not logged in and asleep, to do anything major. It's pretty impressive though for a satellite link internet connection, that must be damn expensive.

To be honest I always feel much safer below the surface scuba diving, that ontop, because I can't see all around me and you are actually probably most vulnerable there, from a more aggressive species of shark, as most sharks attacks occur because they mistake you for a turtle or seal or it's poor visibility and they think your something they can eat. Then they take a taste, don't like it, but that's too late for you! I'm no shark expert but I'd say as long as you are in good visible water (if there are dangerous Sharks around), so away from the beach where they can see you clearly (it's more sandy and less visible near the shore) and your not on the surface, you'll be fine. Around Corn Island there are no dangerous Sharks, apart from a few hammerheads, but I believe sharks are like dogs, they only attack if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time or you annoy them in some way. 

It was also a cool walk to the North beach. The islanders have built footpaths everywhere and in the concrete they drew some pretty cool pictures:

One of the locals drew this sketch in the cement path to the beach! These Sharks don't live around here (great whites) although I'd like to see one! I have this real interest in seeing all the species of shark there are in the world and swimming with them.




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario